Family Relief Fund

Indiana National Guard and Selected Reserve families who are experiencing financial difficulties due to the deployment of the service member can now receive help in the form of grants from the State.


The applicant, who, in most cases, will be the spouse of the service member, must be able to show that the service member has been deployed for over 30 days and that the reason for the financial difficulty is a result of the deployment. "If the service member is making less money on active duty than he or she did in their civilian employment, then they are probably eligible for the grant."
American Flag Hanging in Building


The fund is financed through the sale of the new "Support Our Troops" license plate as well as the "Hoosier Veteran" license plate. The Bureau of Motor Vehicles places $20 from the sale of each "Support Our Troops" plate and $15 from the sale of each "Hoosier Veteran" in a special account. Funds are controlled by the Indiana Department of Veterans Affairs (IDVA) and will accumulate for each successive year. Donations to the fund will also be accepted.

Funding Availability

Annual grants of up to $2,000 are available for items such as food, housing, utilities, medical services, transportation and other essential family support expenses caused by the mobilization of the service member. Grants will also be awarded for families still suffering hardships for up to 6 months after demobilization.

Additional Information

Indiana National Guard and Selected Reserves members or spouses can obtain an application from us or can download an application from the IDVA website. Our phone number is 765-472-3901, ext. 217 and we are located on the 1st floor of the Miami County Courthouse. We are open Monday - Friday, from 8 a.m. - 4 p.m.