Miami County Indiana Government
Job Posting Submit resume and letter of interest to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Job Title: Civil Engineer
Department: Highway Department (MCHD)
Supervisor: Miami County Board of Commissioner’s (BOC)
The Miami County Highway Department general purpose is to safely and efficiently maintain county roadway’s and bridge systems for use by motorized and non-motorized travel. The incumbent Engineer’s work involves a wide variety of engineering duties. Incumbent will make major contribution to achieve MCHD decisions and recommendations in accordance to follow local government, Indiana Department of Transportation (INDOT), and Federal Highway Administration (FHWA) guidelines.
· Bachelor of Science Civil Engineering (BSCE) or higher; proof of degree, ABET accredited.
· Registered Professional Engineer in Indiana or registration within 90 days.
· Works closely with MCHD Superintendent, BOC, MCHD Bookkeeper/Finance, and other essential department staff on road and bridge projects and maintenance.
· Knowledge or willing to attend professional education workshops and training seminars through Local Technical Assistance Program Purdue University (LTAP), Road Scholar, County Bridge Conference, Civil Engineering Professional Development Seminar and other essential seminars.
· Employee in Responsible Charge (ERC) certification thru INDOT or acquire course under employment.
· Oversee County-Wide Bridge Inspection working with engineering consultants.
· Oversee bridge reconstruction working closely with consultants, and others to ensure state, federal and local guidelines are in place.
· Knowledge or ability to understand and learn MCHD budget. Assist MCHD Superintendent, and Bookkeeper/Finance with budget preparation and highway annual report.
· Maintain the inventory of roads accepted by Miami County.
· Review road plans and PASER ratings working with engineering consultants and MCHD Superintendent.
· Incumbent will work with MCHD Signman, Foremen, and other staff members on signage, traffic control, culvert replacement assisting with questions they may have.
· Helps to prepare material bid documents and specifications, reviews and makes recommendation on bids and maintains files of projects.
· Reviews utility company permits, new sub-division plans and specifications, residential and commercial drives in compliance with MCHD.
· Attends meetings of BOC, Plan Commission, and other County meetings when warranted.
· Maintains the ADA Transportation Transition Plan for Miami County.
· Knowledge of principles and accepted practices of engineering and road and bridge construction and maintenance.
· Ability to effectively communicate, cooperate, and negotiate with personnel, officials, and a variety of County, City, and other government agencies, business’s and the public in a diplomatic practice.
· Ability to assure cost effective purchasing.
· Ability to inspect on going road and bridge projects, squatting, bending or standing.
· Incumbent should have flexibility, patience, self- discipline, self-motivated, and goal driven with strong work ethic.
· Ability to lift 40 pounds.
· Ability to sit or stand for short or long periods of time.
· Incumbent performs duties both indoors and outdoors.
· Incumbent is exposed to physical hazards normally associated with construction sites.
· Incumbent will wear required Personal Protection Equipment (PPE) when warranted.
Benefits & Perks:
· Family group Dental, Vision, and Health Insurance Plans.
· Free Medical Clinic (Quad-Med), for employee and family members who are enrolled in Miami County Health Insurance plan: i.e. blood test, yearly check-up, some medications, and other non-related emergency treatments.
· Indiana Public Retirement System (PERF).
· Life insurance.
· Take home vehicle.
· Up to 14 paid holidays.
· Generous vacation, sick and personal allotment.
· Monday thru Friday work schedule.
· Uniform allotment.