Clay Township, the home of Loree, was the last township to be settled in Miami County. The first settlers to the Loree area were of German and German Dutch descent. Loree was originally named Worville by its founder, Oliver Worl.
Worville was home to a small First Brethren Church that was built in 1884 and replaced in 1886 with a newer and larger church. Near the church, Mr. Worl had built a shack-like building he used as a general store.
A superintendent of what was then called the Pan Handle Railroad, J.C. Loree, was asked to establish a passenger stop and depot at Worville. Although he did establish the passenger stop, the depot was never built. Mr. Loree changed the name of Worville to Loree in 1888
Loree served as a loading for the Campbell food company which shipped tomatoes from there to Chicago. The community was home to several businesses including a general store, an elevator, a Buick dealership, a Post Office, a locksmith, a black smith, and many more.
Present Day Loree
Today, Loree is no more. This onetime village resided at what is now known as Strawtown Pike and 850 South, just South of Maconaquah schools. Some of the dwellings still remain today, but the only public building that remains is the Loree Brethren Church which is known for its beautiful stained-glass windows.